One of my favorite outfits for my LG has to be shortalls. They just make her look super cute and also act as a harness in case she's misbehaving :)
The only problem is diaper changes. They're not the most convenient thing to have to take off and put on again. So what's the solution? A snap up crotch, of course!
So, I decided to convert her shortalls to have a snap crotch for easy access. I'm no stranger to a sewing machine so I got to work.
Here's what it looked like before.
Here's where it get a bit technical, so if you're not interested in sewing you may just want to skip to the bottom :)
I didn't want to try to put the snaps through too many layers of material, and as you may have noticed, the leg openings are rolled up and stitched up like that. Unrolling them a little I could see that they had a good finished edge, so I pulled out the stitches so I could unroll them.
Next step was to unstitch the crotch seam itself. Pretty simple to do. These shortalls are pretty much the right size as is, and I didn't want to make the crotch any smaller, so what I decided to do was put the outside snaps (the ones that would be showing) through two layers and then the buttom snaps only through one layer. This is not ideal, but would ensure that there was no change in size. I did an imitation serge along the single edge to try to strengthen it up, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it slowly started to fray eventually. Might have to put a thin layer of glue to seal it up along that edge. Anyways, I made sure that this edge would be hidden so I do have the option of strengthening it a bit more later on. The result, is that the crotch is exactly the same size as before I started un-stitching.
Here's what the crotch looks like now.
There are two hidden snaps right at the leg opening (which you can see in the picture to the right). I wanted to have snaps there so the log openings looked correct but I didn't want those to have to go through too many layers, so I put them through two layers and then folded the remaining two layers over (to make it look like it originally did) and then hand stitched the edge up so that the snap would not get turned sideways when stressed (which would lead to it popping open).
And here's a shot of the full, final product.
My LG does not wear these out so I decided to use nice, bright white snaps... because I think they look cute :)
This worked really well! The snaps hold really well (they have been thoroughly tested with a tripple thick, super wet diaper underneith with a spanking just to be sure) and haven't popped unexpectedly yet.
IF I were to do this again, though, here's what I'd likely do differently. First, I'd get one size larger than needed to have some extra room to put the snaps through two layers of fabric on both sides. Also, having that extra fabric would give me the option of being able to hide all of the snaps, just like the end ones. Technically, I could have hidden them this time, but I wouldn't have had much room to stitch the fabric back to where they would sit right afterwards and they would start popping open when I don't want them to.
The modification itself wasn't too difficult at all. I did use a sewing machine to get nice, tight stitches in a few spots, but this could have been easily done by hand. The snaps are KAM snaps, put on with a hand press (size 16). If anyone is interested in more detailed instructions on how to do a modification like this, let me know and I might do a video showing the entire process.